August 8, 2010

Why not redesign yourself?




I've always wished I were brave enough to invent my own persona, ditching the personality traits I was born with in favour of traits that are more fun or advantageous. Instead of being incessantly polite and cautious, I'd become spontaneous, loud and extroverted. Instead of worrying about doing the right thing, I'd be deliciously ruthless and irresponsible. I wouldn't like to ditch my 'real' self permanently, but why not use an alter-ego when traveling overseas or interstate, or meeting strangers? It would be very convenient.

...... This year, I interviewed two people who have designed their own personas.


First, Captain Australia... a 'real life super hero' whose green-and-gold costume is ingeniously constructed out of an old tracksuit, yellow gum boots and a discarded pair of gardening gloves. He admits his costume is far from perfect, and attracts the ridicule of passers-by. He is aware that his DIY-outfit detracts from the seriousness of his mission to make the streets of Australia safer and kinder. Clearly, he is eccentric. But I admire his bravery for stepping out of himself and into his green-and-gold tracksuit as 'Captain Australia' every weekend.

I also interviewed Pia Andersen, founder of Vintage Allsorts. Blonde, voluptuous and impeccably groomed, Pia has made a career out of her Marylin-esque looks. She lives and breathes the vintage era with a wardrobe full of 1950s Chanel and a house full of retro furniture. Pia is so enamored by all things vintage, she is rarely seen any other way. Since meeting Pia, I've noticed that whenever an ad agency needs a retro pin-up girl, she books the job. And given that TV shows like 'Man Men' have put the 1950s back in fashion, she's doing very nicely.


Both interviews appeared in Sunday Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment